Warcolours pigment wash
by midwestwargaming ·
I think its safe to say every miniature painter is familiar with washes. Washes are one of the first techniques a hobbyist learns when painting miniatures because it is quick and easy. Washes fill in the crevices and textures on a model and create contrast by darkening in those recesses. Today, I want to share with you a different type of wash, pigment washing.
Pigments are very common for historical miniature hobbyists because they crave realism with their work and pigments, unlike washes, provide texture in addition to contrast. Here’s some examples of me applying a pigment wash with each of these colors.
A little water goes a long way with pigment washes. Try to make a consistency of mud and just lather it on.
Unlike a normal wash, like GW’s Nuln Oil, which dries glossy. Pigment washes will dry with a matte finish and provide a grainy texture after it dries which adds a neat effect.
Each color pigment creates a different effect.
The cost for these pigments was 11.95€ + 3.95€ for shipping. In US terms, that was about $17.80. That makes each pot of pigment roughly $3.5 which is the same amount I currently pay at my LGS for a pot of P3 or Citadel paint which is more than reasonable considering it is being shipped from across the Atlantic!
What I’ve showed you so far is just basic washing. But, I already have washes, so, is the final effect of this different enough from a normal wash that it is worth having in your arsenal of paint-techniques? Yes.
Besides making robots look rusty, what else can it be used for?
- Gun-powder blasts
In short, go buy some pots of this stuff. It’s neat, its cheap and I’m sure there’s plenty of other ways it can be used besides the ones I’ve mentioned above.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Recent MWWG podcast episodes
- The Pitch, Ep. 18 August 9, 2018
- Monsters and Mechaniks Episode 3: Future Plans and Huge Base Dojo July 23, 2018
- Monsters and Mechanics Episode 2 Tournament Talk July 17, 2018
- House Shyeel Podcasters Season 3 Episode 1: New Beginnings and Retribution CID July 17, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep.17 July 12, 2018
- Boisterous Exuberance : Kickstarter alternate sculpts [Song of Ice and Fire Miniatures Game]
- WRECK MARKER : BRAIN IN A JAR
- DRESSING THE LINES : Gorgeous 3D-printed governor’s mansion
- Dampf's modelling page : An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure – Adding Clutter part thirteen
- Danse Macabre by quidamcorvus : Galeria: Krasnoludowie Chaosu z Zorn Uzkul. Wojownik Klanowy – Sygnalista.Gallery: Chaos Dwarves from Zorn Uzkul. Clan Warrior – Musician.
- leadaddicted : Lucca C&G 2017: Ganesha Games [part03]
- Brazos Evil Empire : Two Marshals: District 9 using Gruntz 15mm
- A Journey into the Dark Millennium : MENG Sd.Kfz.182 King Tiger with Henschel Turret [Assembly Completed]
- Brushes and Bases : Back to the Brushes 189
- Società di archeologia e cimeli : Closed for Prague Holiday
Creative Twilight: Creative Twilight
- Next story Countercharge Ep 14: Axis
- Previous story Countercharge Ep.13: Bane Theme Force (Dark Host)