Interview with “Cinderella man” David Pettigrew, MuseOn Con champ
by midwestwargaming · Published · Updated
David, congratulations again on winning the Muse On Con regional tournament! For some people, the big news this past weekend was the big reveal on the lamplighter models, but for us in the Midwest the news was your Cinderella story. Out of a nowhere a one-legged man with only 3 games recorded on Longshanks came and crushed the cream of the crop.
Is it a Cinderella story because she only has one shoe? Because if so I’m in!
1. Since most people don’t know you yet, can you start off by introducing yourself a little. How long have you been playing Guild Ball? Where’s your local meta? And what guilds do you play?
Well. My name is David Pettigrew and I’m a 41 year old retiree (medically, Army, 2004). I guess I’ve been playing Guild Ball for a bit under two years, having gotten started just as Hunters initially released. I went to my local game store, Gamer’s Haven in Colorado Springs, CO, to play a Warmachine game and my opponent was a no show. So instead I watched the last 15 minutes of a game of Guild Ball and was pretty hooked at that point.
I own Alchemists, Brewers, Engineers, Farmers, Hunters, and Union (and just completed Masons at the con). I’d say overall I’m reasonably decent with all the guilds, but none of them click for me, play style and mechanically, the way Union and Engineers do. Both these teams can flex for their win condition to be more goal or more take out oriented—I’ve played 3 goal veteran Rage games and 6 take out Ballista ones. This flexibility in win condition is a big thing for me because I tend to look to what my opponents’ win conditions most likely are and try to flex the other way (football around the brawlers and take out the footballers).
2. Engineers were the vehicle you rode to victory on. Can you share your tournament ten and any insight into why you picked these players?
I’ve listened to Strictly the Worst since (I think) its inception (I’ve at least listened to all the episodes including that awful Wild Wild West one) and have always enjoyed the podcast so it was both exciting and a little nerve-wracking to play against these guys who I listen to for strategy advice. They have an extremely strong pool of players to play against and that leads to them being very good as well. All of this was in my head on some level. On another was the idea that I needed to simply relax and play the game before me. Johnny Pastrami who came in third at the event looked over at me as he squared off vs Pat and I vs Vincent and said we should just knock them both out and play each other in the finals. It made me laugh and put me at ease.
Game five vs Pat I actually took about 2 or 3 minutes prior to kick off to settle myself and take some deep breaths. We were already 9 or so hours into the tournament and while I’d done a decent job drinking water all day and had a couple Kind protein bars I hadn’t eaten since breakfast 12 hours ago and was very meaningfully experiencing the physicality of the 4 previous games all going very close to time (usually sub 10 minutes combined on clocks).
7. Lastly, what’s next for David Pettigrew? Will Muse On Con be your fifteen minutes of fame or do you intend on practicing and crushing more conventions after this? If so, what’s the next big event you’ll be at and also how can people contact you if they have more specific questions about your engineer ingenuity?
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Recent MWWG podcast episodes
- The Pitch, Ep.20 September 20, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep.19 September 5, 2018
- Midwest Wargaming Podcast, Episode 2 – New and Exciting Games August 24, 2018
- Midwest Wargaming Podcast, Episode 1 August 19, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep. 18 August 9, 2018
- Dice Tray
- Recenzja: Zarbag’s Gitz od Games Workshop.Reviews: Zarbag’s Gitz from Games Workshop.
- Gandalf the Grey
- Orc War Pigs!
- BLOOD BOWL – Journey of the Maulers: Project introduction
- Council Fires – 2018
- 28mm Helicopter Assault Trooper
- Adeptus Titanicus - Legio Vulpa Warlord and Reavers WIP³
- Something Sickly This Way Comes – Death Guard Characters
- Crescent Root Release 28mm Spanish building
Creative Twilight: Creative Twilight
- Next story Strictly The Worst Episode 43: A REALLY Hot One
- Previous story Thoughts on the New X-wing 2.0