Dipping: a cheap technique or a useful skill?
by midwestwargaming · Published · Updated
A year ago I attended a master’s level painting class in Chicago with Meg Maples, award winning model painter and former staff painter of Privateer Press. We practiced two-brush blending for two days straight. Two-brush blending requires hours of practice and is used by many professional painters. To master two-brush blending would be an amazing feat. Dipping on the other hand requires very little practice and is not used by professional painters.
Until recently I looked down on dipping as an inferior technique because I know enough about painting that I don’t need a jar of goop to do it for me. However, with Adepitcon nearing I found myself desperate to get my Warmachine army painted so I gave it a shot.
Dipping is simple, just base-coat a model and apply Army Painter Quick Shade by either brushing it on or literally dipping the model. Here is a before and after photo
You can see the difference dipping makes. The base-coated model on the left is pretty boring without any shading. However, the dipped model on the right is too glossy for my liking so I will need to spray it with some matte coating.
I was pretty pleased with the finished product so I continued the process on more Menoth models.
After having dipped myself I can say that my opinion of this technique has changed very favorably. Dipping models will never improve my painting skill but it will definitely get me a good looking army quick!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Recent MWWG podcast episodes
- The Pitch, Ep.10 February 14, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep.9 January 16, 2018
- Lecture Notes from the Breach, Ep.25: Errata Right at Ya January 13, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep.8 January 2, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep.7 December 19, 2017
- The Old West Chronicle : Hordes: Minions Barnabas, Lord of Blood (Warlock)
- Sean's Wargames Corner : Paint Table Saturday 224 – Progress on Bretonnians and Wizards
- Jim's Wargames Workbench : French Indochina 15mm Squad Level Skirmish
- Confessions of a 40k addict : I’m going to be on Warhammer tv
- The Anarchy of Anton! : Robin 2018
- Bob's Miniature Wargaming Blog : More Fate of Nations
- Guerrilla Miniature Games : On the Paint Table – Shadespire Fyreslayers & Skaven, Warzone Bauhaus and Malifaux
- Anatoli's Game Room : Saber & Blood Poles and Cossacks painted up
- Società di archeologia e cimeli : TSA Clubevening 16th of february 2018
- Jim's Wargames Workbench : Climbing the Lead Mountain
Creative Twilight: Creative Twilight
- Next story Evolutionary Elementalism post January 2016 errata
- Previous story Battle Report–X-Wing–Dash & Corran VS Boba Fett & Rexler