Dipping: a cheap technique or a useful skill?
by midwestwargaming · Published · Updated
A year ago I attended a master’s level painting class in Chicago with Meg Maples, award winning model painter and former staff painter of Privateer Press. We practiced two-brush blending for two days straight. Two-brush blending requires hours of practice and is used by many professional painters. To master two-brush blending would be an amazing feat. Dipping on the other hand requires very little practice and is not used by professional painters.
Until recently I looked down on dipping as an inferior technique because I know enough about painting that I don’t need a jar of goop to do it for me. However, with Adepitcon nearing I found myself desperate to get my Warmachine army painted so I gave it a shot.
Dipping is simple, just base-coat a model and apply Army Painter Quick Shade by either brushing it on or literally dipping the model. Here is a before and after photo
You can see the difference dipping makes. The base-coated model on the left is pretty boring without any shading. However, the dipped model on the right is too glossy for my liking so I will need to spray it with some matte coating.
I was pretty pleased with the finished product so I continued the process on more Menoth models.
After having dipped myself I can say that my opinion of this technique has changed very favorably. Dipping models will never improve my painting skill but it will definitely get me a good looking army quick!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Recent MWWG podcast episodes
- The Pitch, Ep. 18 August 9, 2018
- Monsters and Mechaniks Episode 3: Future Plans and Huge Base Dojo July 23, 2018
- Monsters and Mechanics Episode 2 Tournament Talk July 17, 2018
- House Shyeel Podcasters Season 3 Episode 1: New Beginnings and Retribution CID July 17, 2018
- The Pitch, Ep.17 July 12, 2018
- Boisterous Exuberance : Kickstarter alternate sculpts [Song of Ice and Fire Miniatures Game]
- WRECK MARKER : BRAIN IN A JAR
- DRESSING THE LINES : Gorgeous 3D-printed governor’s mansion
- Dampf's modelling page : An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure – Adding Clutter part thirteen
- Danse Macabre by quidamcorvus : Galeria: Krasnoludowie Chaosu z Zorn Uzkul. Wojownik Klanowy – Sygnalista.Gallery: Chaos Dwarves from Zorn Uzkul. Clan Warrior – Musician.
- leadaddicted : Lucca C&G 2017: Ganesha Games [part03]
- Brazos Evil Empire : Two Marshals: District 9 using Gruntz 15mm
- A Journey into the Dark Millennium : MENG Sd.Kfz.182 King Tiger with Henschel Turret [Assembly Completed]
- Brushes and Bases : Back to the Brushes 189
- Società di archeologia e cimeli : Closed for Prague Holiday
Creative Twilight: Creative Twilight
- Next story Evolutionary Elementalism post January 2016 errata
- Previous story Battle Report–X-Wing–Dash & Corran VS Boba Fett & Rexler