Dipping: a cheap technique or a useful skill?
by midwestwargaming · Published · Updated
A year ago I attended a master’s level painting class in Chicago with Meg Maples, award winning model painter and former staff painter of Privateer Press. We practiced two-brush blending for two days straight. Two-brush blending requires hours of practice and is used by many professional painters. To master two-brush blending would be an amazing feat. Dipping on the other hand requires very little practice and is not used by professional painters.
Until recently I looked down on dipping as an inferior technique because I know enough about painting that I don’t need a jar of goop to do it for me. However, with Adepitcon nearing I found myself desperate to get my Warmachine army painted so I gave it a shot.
Dipping is simple, just base-coat a model and apply Army Painter Quick Shade by either brushing it on or literally dipping the model. Here is a before and after photo
You can see the difference dipping makes. The base-coated model on the left is pretty boring without any shading. However, the dipped model on the right is too glossy for my liking so I will need to spray it with some matte coating.
I was pretty pleased with the finished product so I continued the process on more Menoth models.
After having dipped myself I can say that my opinion of this technique has changed very favorably. Dipping models will never improve my painting skill but it will definitely get me a good looking army quick!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Recent MWWG podcast episodes
- Must Contain Minis : Why I Love Playing Bolt Action
- Jim's Wargames Workbench : Armour (not so) Fast Panther Ausf G
- Dust, Tears & Dice : 15mm Russian Buildings – The Weekend Challenge.
- Fanplastic Little Men : Zombicide: Black Plague Male Walkers
- Over Open Sights : Skoda 75 mm M15 Gebirgskanone
- Over Open Sights : Mutton Chop WW1 German Jaeger. Pack GER12.
- Anything But Ones : GREX 3v3 Tournament
- Napoleonic Wargaming : Fighting in a Built Up Area (BUA)
- Lair of the Uber Geek : Jungle Terrain – Finished!
- ChargeBlog : GDPR and ChargeBlog
Creative Twilight: Creative Twilight
- Next story Evolutionary Elementalism post January 2016 errata
- Previous story Battle Report–X-Wing–Dash & Corran VS Boba Fett & Rexler